close search ×
lady justice and american flag

New York Immigration Lawyer

The Law Office of Jason A. Dennis is able to help with every aspect of the immigration process. Our NYC Immigration firm has experience handling visa applications, green cards, deportation hearings, citizenship, and the naturalization process. If you or your family are facing immigration issues, contact a skilled New York City immigration lawyer from The Law Office of Jason A. Dennis today to schedule a free initial consultation and see what we can do to help you.

Immigration Lawyer | Here for Clients in New York City

New York City is a popular destination for many entering this country. Over 3 million residents of NYC are immigrants, making up nearly 40% of the city’s population. With a foreign-born population so large it comes as no surprise that the city deals with a significant number of immigration cases every year, ranging from work visa applications to deportation cases.

If you or your family are among the many seeking to enter the United States legally, extend your visa, apply for permanent residence, or are dealing with one of many other possible immigration issues, it is in your best interest to retain the service of an attorney specializing in immigration law.

Be careful when selecting an immigration lawyer as choosing the right one can be vital to finding the best possible solution to your immigration issues. You should look to find a lawyer who is able to clearly and accurately list your options, is willing and able to answer all your questions, and is capable of advocating for you with any federal agencies with which you must communicate. Poorly handled cases can threaten your immigration status, so you need to find someone with the experience and skill to handle your case in a timely and effective manner.

Immigration Law in the United States

Immigration law in the U.S. governs who can enter, how long they can stay, and when they must leave. It also establishes who may be admitted as permanent residents and become naturalized citizens of the United States.

Immigration law is ruled on at the federal level and enforced primarily by three federal agencies:

  • U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE): responsible for enforcing federal laws governing border control, customs, trade, and immigration along US borders as well as throughout the country.
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS): responsible for administering immigration benefits, processing applications, and granting immigration benefits.
  • U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP): responsible for enforcing federal customs and immigration law at or near the US border.

U.S. immigration law classifies people in one of two ways: U.S. Citizens or aliens. Based on their immigration status, aliens are further classified as lawful permanent residents (green card holders), non-immigrant visa holders, foreign nationals of lawful status, or undocumented. Your immigration status dictates your rights and responsibilities within the United States.

Cases Our Immigration Firm Handles

At The Law Office of Jason A. Dennis, we specialize in all facets of immigration including:

Green Card Applications

We have the experience and knowledge to help you with your green card immigration applications, make the process as smooth as possible, and help you avoid mistakes that could impact your legal status.

Naturalization & Citizenship

While naturalization is typically a fairly straightforward process, navigating and understanding the different requirements and how they apply to your unique situation can confusing. We are prepared to offer guidance throughout your citizenship application to help you secure your American citizenship as quickly as possible.

Deportation Defense

Facing deportation is a stressful time, but it doesn’t take place overnight, which allows you to build a case against your removal. If you face deportation from the United States our deportation attorneys in NY will assist you in building the strongest removal defense possible for your hearing in immigration court.

The Diversity Immigrant Visa Lottery Program

Each year, 50,000 green cards are distributed to people (and their families) from countries that historically do not send many immigrants to the United States. We can determine whether you are eligible for the lottery, help you enter, and assist with your adjustment of status petition if you win.

Fiancé Visas

The K-1 visa allows the fiancés of U.S. citizens to travel to the United States to facilitate a marriage, allowing them to remain in the country while their green card application is processed. We can help couples secure these visas and meet their strict requirements.

LGBTQ Issues

Our firm has experience assisting LGBTQ individuals, couples, and families with a variety of immigration obstacles, including difficulty obtaining K-1 fiancé visas and sponsoring same-sex partners for green cards.

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS)

Undocumented minors and some young adults under the age of 21 may qualify for green cards if they were abused, neglected, or abandoned by one or both of their parents. Obtaining SIJS is complicated and requires getting a court order, but we can help you through this process.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

Certain countries receive TPS status when extraordinary conditions (such as ongoing warfare or the aftermath of a natural disaster) make it unsafe for immigrants in the United States to return. If you were already in the U.S. when your home country receives TPS designation, you could qualify to stay until conditions improve.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) and U Visas

Immigrants who have been subject to abuse at the hands of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident may be able to self-petition for a green card through VAWA. U visas are available to victims of crimes who can help law enforcement investigate and prosecute the perpetrators. We can assist you in either of these scenarios.

Bar Waivers

When a foreign national is deemed inadmissible into the United States due to unlawful presence, meaning the individual was in the United States without authorization, they may be barred from reentering the United States for three or 10 years. However, if the person can prove a family member would suffer extreme hardship due to the bar, they may be granted a 3 or 10-year bar waiver, which would allow them to return to the United States.

Religious Visas

R-1 visas are available to immigrants looking to temporarily work for a religious organization in the United States. We can help you seek this unique type of visa.

Immigration Appeals

If you receive an unfavorable decision in any immigration matter, we are prepared to exhaust all appellate remedies.

Immigration FAQ

What type of visa do you need to become a permanent resident of the U.S.?

There are a number of visas available to foreign nationals wishing to permanently immigrate to the United States depending on their current status. If you are a foreign national engaged to a U.S. citizen there is a fiancé visa, if you are related to a U.S. citizen and wish to immigrate there are family visas, a work visa if you are experienced in a particular field or industry, and more.

What should you do if your visa expires?

There are a number of visas available to foreign nationals wishing to permanently immigrate to the United States depending on their current status. If you are a foreign national engaged to a U.S. citizen there is a fiancé visa, if you are related to a U.S. citizen and wish to immigrate there are family visas, a work visa if you are experienced in a particular field or industry, and more.

If I’m a foreign national studying in the U.S., can I stay within the country following graduation?

To stay in the country following graduation, a student will need to obtain an H-1B temporary worker visa. Typically, graduates who work in a specialty field (such as a medical professional or engineer) will be able to obtain this visa with ease. To ensure that this process moves smoothly, it is recommended that students apply for this visa as early as possible to avoid penalties.

Can you work while waiting on a green card?

If you have a valid H-1B or L-1 visa, you can continue working in the U.S. even while waiting on approval for a green card. Green card applicants are not able to start working in the United States without one of those Visas until they obtain a work permit by filing an I-765.

Is it necessary to be sponsored by an employer?

An individual does not necessarily have to be sponsored by an employer if he or she qualifies for the national interest waiver or has an extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim.

How much does a green card cost?

The total cost of a green card application will vary depending on the specifics of the case. An attorney can give you a more exact estimate of what your case will entail.

Why would a green card application be denied?

In some cases, a green card application will be denied due to mistakes on important forms, a lack of sufficient evidence of eligibility, missing documents, or a variety of other reasons.

What are the benefits of becoming a United States citizen?

There are three primary privileges that citizens can experience. These include being able to vote in local, state, and national elections; having the ability to obtain a passport; and sponsoring relatives in their efforts to become a permanent resident.

Contact an Immigration Lawyer Today

If you are in New York City and face immigration issues, your first priority should be hiring an experienced immigration lawyer. A lawyer can help guide you through the federal immigration system if you’re interested in citizenship, a visa to work in the US, or looking to sponsor a child through family immigration.

Working with an immigration lawyer can help you prepare for common immigration problems and help you avoid or navigate the complex issues that can arise throughout the immigration process.

The Law Office of Jason A. Dennis may be able to help. With a wealth of experience in immigration law and the drive and dedication to reach the best possible outcome for your case, we are prepared to tackle any immigration issue you’re facing. We handle cases for clients throughout NYC, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island. We also handle cases on behalf of clients in New Jersey, Maryland, and Washington, D.C.

Recent News
From Our Blog
Read More Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by