textbooks and tablet on desk

When you are eligible to come to the United States to study and obtain an education, it can be an incredibly exciting opportunity. However, you may find that leaving behind your loved ones puts more of a strain on your life than you had anticipated. As such, understanding your options for bringing your family members to the United States is critical. The following blog explores what you must know about an F-2 visa and why connecting with a New York City family immigration attorney is critical to exploring your legal options for these matters.

What Is an F-2 Visa, and Who Can Apply?

When you obtain a student visa to study in the United States on an F-1 visa, you may be able to bring a dependent family member to the country with you. However, their visa is contingent on yours, so they are only eligible to remain in the country as long as your visa is valid.

An F-2 visa is only applicable to the spouses and minor children of F-1 visa holders in the United States. Essentially, so long as you are an international student enrolled in a United States college, university, or other educational institution, your spouse or minor child may be eligible to receive an F-2 visa to accompany you.

How Can I Obtain This Visa?

If you’re studying in the United States, your dependents must file a Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and you must request an F-2 I-20 from the educational institution for your dependant. The school where you are studying can assist you in finding and requesting this document for your dependant. In addition, you must also provide the I-20 from the school where the F-1 visa holder will attend, as well as proof of relationship between the F-2 applicant and the F-1 visa holder.

It’s also important to note that if you obtain an F-2 Visa, you cannot work while in the United States. Additionally, you cannot pursue a degree but may enroll part-time in courses that are part of a degree program.

Can an NYC Immigration Attorney Help Me?

When you are applying for an F-2 visa, it’s necessary to understand that this can be a complex and overwhelming process, as there are many documents you must provide to obtain this dependant visa. Additionally, if the F-1 visa holder needs to change the terms of their stay in the United States, it can directly impact your visa. As such, working with an attorney can help ensure you are protected and understand your options for these matters.

If you need assistance obtaining an F-2 visa for yourself or your spouse, the Law Office of Jason A. Dennis is ready to help you. Our firm can guide you through this process so you can focus on your school work while helping your dependents receive their visa. Connect with our firm today to learn how we can help you.