couple holding hands with engagement ring on

With 7 billion people in the world, it’s more than likely the love of your life lives outside of the country. When you find this person, whether it’s on your travels or over the internet, you may be ready to do everything possible to start your life together. However, it can be challenging to marry a non-U.S. citizen, but it is possible through a K-1 visa. The following blog explores what you must know about these circumstances and how a New York City K-1 fiance visa lawyer can help you and your true love begin the next chapter of your lives together.

What Is a K-1 Visa?

A K-1 visa, also known as a fiance(e) visa, allows a romantic partner entry to the United States. With this visa, you and your fiance can get married and grants them the right to live in the United States after the marriage has occurred.

It’s important to note that once they enter the United States, you and your partner only have 90 days to get married. If you do not get married within this timeframe, they must leave the country before another thirty days have elapsed.

What Are the Requirements for This Process?

If you and your fiance are ready to get married, but they do not live in the United States, it’s essential to understand the requirements for this process. To begin, you likely must establish that you and your soon-to-be spouse have a relationship. You can provide plane tickets, photographs, and hotel recipes to show you have spent time together. Additionally, you must show that you have met within the past two years to apply for a K-1 visa.

Additionally, the US partner must show they are a citizen in order to sponsor their foreign-born partner via a Form I-129F. The non-citizen spouse must live outside of the United States and be able to marry. Additionally, they must provide records allowing them to enter the United States. Once their application has been approved, they have six months to enter the country and 90 days after their entry to get married.

How Can an Attorney Help Me?

Applying for a K-1 visa can be a complex process. As such, it’s in your best interest to seek the guidance of an experienced immigration attorney. Not only can they help ensure all of your documents and files are gathered and submitted on time, but they can also assist in filling out the forms associated with sponsoring a non-citizen spouse. Additionally, having an attorney can ensure that any questions you have about this process are answered in a timely manner to provide peace of mind that this process is going smoothly.

At the Law Office of Jason A. Dennis, we understand how complex it can be to plan a wedding and worry about bringing your partner to the United States. That’s why our team will work to help handle the legal complexities of this matter so you can focus on the happiest day of your life. Contact us today to learn more.