man and woman showing wedding rings

When you meet the love of your life, it may feel like nothing can get in the way of your feelings. However, you’ll find that living in different countries can certainly put stress on your relationship. As such, you may want to consider applying for a K-1 visa. However, there are many considerations you must consider before beginning this process. The following blog explores what those applying for K-1 visas should know to make this as easy as possible. Additionally, you’ll learn why it’s in your best interest to work with a New York City K-1 fiance visa lawyer.

What Are K-1 Visas and Who Qualifies?

A K-1 fiance visa is offered to those who have a fiance in the United States. However, being engaged doesn’t automatically mean you will qualify. In fact, there are many qualifications someone looking to receive this visa must first meet before they are granted one. However, you should first understand that you and your fiance must be legally eligible to get married.

In addition, you and your partner must have met within two years prior before you can apply for the visa. This is a requirement because United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) wants to ensure your relationship is valid and authentic before issuing a visa.

Finally, you can qualify if you plan on getting married within 90 days of entering the United States. You must be able to prove that you intend to marry within this time as your visa will expire after this period. If you are not married, you cannot remain in the country.

You should also note that an immigration interview must be conducted as a part of the K-1 visa process. This is to ensure that your relationship is one based on love as opposed to simply being a “green card” marriage.

Are There Any Other Things I Should Consider?

If you and your partner decide to marry before you are issued your K-1 visa, you’ll find that you will no longer be eligible for this process. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a green card via an IR-1 visa, which grants a visa through immigration. You’ll need to file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

In addition, if you and your finance do not marry within 90 days, you cannot apply for a change of status following your marriage. As such, you must leave the country or you can be deported. Deportation can impact your ability to legally re-enter the country at a later date.

As you can see, there are many considerations and qualifications that must be taken into account when applying for a K-1 visa. That’s why you should consider connecting with an experienced attorney at the Law Offices of Jason A. Dennis. Our firm understands that immigration is a complex and stressful matter. That’s why our dedicated legal team will do everything to help you through these times. Reach out to our team today to learn how we can fight for the best possible outcome for you.