two people shaking hands

Your wedding day may be the happiest day of your life since you’ll get to spend the rest of your days with your spouse. However, a close second may be the day you receive your green card! Depending on when you get married, you will receive a conditional green card. If you’re looking to adjust the status of your card, understanding the steps you must take is critical. Luckily, a New York City green card lawyer can help you through this process, as it can be incredibly complex and laden with documents and deadlines. Keep reading to discover answers to the questions you may have regarding conditional green cards.

How Do Conditional Green Cards Work?

A conditional green card is granted to the spouses of United States citizens who moved to the country within two years after the wedding date. This is granted to those seeking entry to the country or those requesting a status change. If you have children, they will likely hold conditional green cards as well.

It’s important to note that this is only valid for two years from the date it was issued, and conditional green cards cannot be renewed.

Is It Possible to Remove the Conditions?

It’s important to understand that you must remove the conditions on your card within 90 days of the expiration date. Failure to do so will result in a loss of permanent resident status, meaning you may be legally removed from the United States.

To remove the conditions on your green card, you must file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence. Generally, your spouse will jointly file with you if you are still married to the citizen. However, you may file alone if your spouse has passed, you are divorced, you were subject to extreme cruelty, or you would face undue hardship as a result of your removal. It’s important to know that if you were divorced, you must prove that you entered the marriage in good faith.

You should also note that you may be required to attend an interview. If this is the case, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will mail you a letter containing the information regarding your interview.

Once your application is reviewed, your conditions will be removed, and you will have a standard green card. This card will not expire for ten years.

Why Do I Need a New York City Green Card Lawyer?

Though it may seem simple enough to file the necessary paperwork to have the conditions removed from your green card, this is far from the truth. Unfortunately, the petition document is long and requires careful attention to detail. As a result, you may accidentally omit critical information or make an error that could invalidate your application, whereas an attorney has experience with these documents and can make the filing process easier. Additionally, if your application is denied for any reason, having an attorney can help as they can file an appeal on your behalf.

At the Law Office of Jason A. Dennis, we understand how overwhelming immigration-related matters can be, especially when you have a job, family, and other obligations to handle. That’s why our team is ready to help you. Whether you’ve encountered complications while filing or your application was denied, we are ready to assist. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss the details of your circumstances.