woman writing on clipboard

For many, living in America is a dream come true. Whether you are here for work, school, or to start a family, you may be eager to settle in. As such, receiving your green card can make you feel like everything is falling into place. However, you may be surprised to find that you must renew your green card every so often. If you’re unfamiliar with how to proceed, this blog can help you learn when and how to complete this process. Additionally, you’ll discover how a New York City green card lawyer can help you with any problems you may face during this process.

How Often Do I Need to Renew My Green Card?

If you are issued a green card, you are considered a permanent, lawful resident of the United States. In general, when you receive the card, it will contain the date it was issued and when it expires. This expiration date is generally ten years. If your expiration date is approaching, you must begin the renewal process.

However, if the expiration date on the card is only two years, you are a conditional resident of the United States. Ninety days before the card is set to expire, you can petition to have the conditions of the card removed so you can remain as a resident.

If your card has no expiration date, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Office recommends you apply for a new card, as it is likely very old and no longer valid.

What Steps Must I Take?

If you need to renew your green card because it is set to expire in six months, understanding how to proceed is essential. It’s important to note that generally, this process can cost $540, assuming you are not also filing a fee waiver. Generally, you’ll need to file a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This will have the necessary instructions on how to file and what documents you must submit in addition to the form. Generally, this is simply a copy of your current cad. However, if you lost or damaged yours, you’ll need to provide additional identifying information.

In the event your green card only lasts two years, you cannot file with the Form I-90. Instead, you will file the Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions. Failure to file these forms can lead to the revocation of your permanent resident status. As such, it’s essential to ensure you take the necessary steps to protect yourself in these matters.

Unfortunately, this process can be complex and challenging. Failure to take the necessary steps can impact your ability to travel to and from the United States. As such, it’s in your best interest to consult with an experienced attorney to help guide you through this process. The Law Office of Jason A. Dennis is ready to assist you. We will do everything possible to help you through this process to ensure everything goes smoothly so you can focus on your responsibilities. Contact us today to learn more.