two women and a man laughing

When one family member immigrates to the United States, it can be challenging to see family members who live outside of the country. As such, understanding whether or not you can sponsor a sibling to become a resident of the United States is critical. Luckily, family reunification may be possible with the assistance of a New York City family immigration lawyer. Keep reading to learn more about this process and what steps you must complete to help your sibling achieve their American dream.

What Relatives Can I Sponsor?

Generally, United States citizens can petition for their husband or wife to become citizens and their children, regardless of whether or not their children are married. However, adults over 21 can petition for their parents and siblings to enter the country.

It’s important to note that generally, these relatives will fall into “preference” categories, meaning only a certain amount of visas are available. As such, your sibling may still need to wait to gain entry to the United States because they fall into the last family-based preference category. This differs from “immediate relatives,” which, in immigration terms, refers to the spouses and minor children of United States citizens and the parents of adult citizens.

What Paperwork Must I File?

If you want to sponsor a sibling, you must file the correct family-based visa petition. Generally, you’ll need to file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This will establish the relationship between you and your sibling. If your sibling is already in the United States, they must file a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

In addition, as their sponsor, you must file a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. Essentially, this means you can help financially support them so they will not have to rely on government programs for support.

How Can an NYC Immigration Lawyer Help Me Sponsor My Sibling?

Filing a petition to support your sibling to immigrate to the United States can be stressful. As such, it’s in your best interest to connect with an experienced attorney to help guide you through this process.

The paperwork required to petition for a spouse can be overwhelming, and making an error can delay the process. Luckily, immigration attorneys have the necessary experience to help guide you through the process to ensure the forms are completed properly and the correct evidence and documentation are filed alongside the petition.

Additionally, having an attorney ensures you have someone to fight for you in the event your application is rejected or other issues arise.

At the Law Office of Jason A. Dennis, we understand how complex these matters can be. As such, our team is dedicated to helping you through these matters. If you are ready to sponsor a sibling, we can help. Contact our firm today to connect with an experienced attorney to discuss your circumstances.