woman filing form

Obtaining a green card is something that many people dream about. However, accidents happen, and it’s not uncommon for a card to get lost or destroyed once you receive it. As such, you may find that you’re unsure what to do. Luckily, you can replace a lost card, but it can be a confusing and complicated process, as explored in the following blog. That’s why it’s in your best interest to connect with an experienced New York City green card lawyer to help you file the paperwork and receive temporary proof if you lost your green card.

What Is a Green Card?

A green card is officially known as a permanent residency card. This allows specific individuals who are not United States citizens to legally reside in the country. There are many ways in which someone may qualify for a green card, which include the following:

  • Family
  • Employment
  • Victims of crime
  • Victims of trafficking or abuse
  • The green card lottery
  • Employment
  • Refugee status

Once you are issued a green card, you must have this in your possession at all times. However, accidents happen, and you may need to replace this document if it becomes lost or destroyed.

What Should I Do if I Lost My Green Card?

If your green card is lost or destroyed, the process to receive a new one can be complex.

Generally, you must start by filing a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This can only be filed within the United States, so you must ensure you are in the country when applying for a replacement. Once you file this form, you’ll likely need to pay the filing fee and submit the form online or via mail. The filing fee for a new green card is $455 plus the cost of biometrics, which is $85.

If your card has been lost or destroyed, you must also submit a copy of a government form of identification that contains your name, birth date, signature, and photograph.

Because receiving a replacement card can be complex, you may need temporary proof of residency. You may need to apply for an Alien Documentation, Identification, and Telecommunication (ADIT) stamp. This will be stamped in your passport and serves as a temporary green card until you get your replacement. You’ll need to schedule a meeting with a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services officer at a local office to receive the stamp.

As you can see, this process can be stressful, especially if you need to receive a new green card or its equivalent urgently. That’s why it’s in your best interest to connect with an experienced attorney from the Law Offices of Jason A. Dennis as soon as possible. Our dedicated team can help you file the necessary papers to ensure this process goes smoothly. Contact us today to learn how we can assist you.