American flags in ground

Unfortunately, there is much confusion surrounding the visa process in the United States, given how many kinds there are. As such, it’s essential to understand whether or not you can get this document if you’re already in the country and why you need a New York immigration lawyer to help you through these confusing and challenging times. Keep reading to learn more about this process.

Is It Possible to Obtain a Visa in the U.S. if I’m Already Here?

Generally, only those outside of the United States can apply for a visa in their home country at a U.S. consulate. You must show this document when attempting to enter the country so the agent can determine whether you are there legally or not.

If you are already in the United States, you cannot apply for a visa. This is because this document acts as your entry into the country. As you have already entered, you do not need a visa.

What Are My Options?

If you have not yet already entered the United States, obtaining a visa is the best way to gain legal entry into the country. Generally, you will have the ability to obtain a B2 visa, allowing you up to six months to enter the United States.

Similarly, if you have immediate family ties, a visa is always available for you. This is because some countries have a Visa Waiver, meaning you do not need to apply for a visa before traveling to the country for a short trip. If you have immediate family here, including children, parents, or a spouse, you will be eligible to apply for a visa to obtain permanent residency.

If you are here on a visa, you may have questions about extending your stay or applying for a different kind of document. Again, since you are already in the United States, you cannot apply for this document. However, you may be able to adjust your status depending on the circumstances surrounding your situation. Generally, you must have a valid visa and have not overstayed your visit, you can likely apply for permanent residence if you fall under one of the applicable categories.

Can an Attorney Help Me?

When you have issues surrounding your immigration status, your best option is to consult an experienced attorney as soon as possible. You may not know what options are available to you, but speaking with an attorney who is well-versed in the law can help you explore other avenues.

At the Law Office of Jason A. Dennis, our dedicated legal team will work to help you overcome the challenges the immigration process can pose. Contact us today to learn how our firm can assist you during these difficult times.