American flag behind barbed wire fence

It’s no secret that a deportation order can happen. This is an unfortunate reality for many immigrants hoping to receive their American dream. As such, if you are an immigrant issued a deportation order by the judge assigned to your case, knowing how to proceed is critical. Even if you are ordered to leave, you may be able to appeal the decision to continue your process. The following blog explores what you must know and how a New York City deportation defense lawyer can assist you during these challenging times.

What Happens After I Receive a Deportation Order?

There are many reasons a person may be deported from the United States. These include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • They remained after their visa expired
  • They did not enter the country legally
  • They forged immigration documents to enter the United States
  • They’ve committed a crime

Once you’ve received your deportation order and were not in jail at the time of your hearing, you can go back to your home while the government compiles your documents. In most instances, they will send you a letter with all the necessary information regarding when you must leave and what you can bring with you.

Unfortunately, the government does not always send this letter and may deport people by surprise.

Can I File an Appeal?

If ordered to leave the country, you may be able to file an appeal. This grants you a “stay” on your deportation, which means the process is put on hold until your appeal has been finalized. You generally only have thirty days to file an appeal once you are issued a deportation order.

One of the most common ways to avoid deportation is to receive an adjustment of status via a family member. However, this is only applicable to those who enter the country legally.

Additionally, you may be able to prove that you’ve been in the country for ten years and that your removal would cause exceptional hardship to a qualifying resident. Usually, this is a spouse or child who is a United States Citizen. Similarly, you may be eligible under the Violence Against Women Act, which would cancel your deportation order. Generally, you must show that you were a victim of abuse and have resided in the country for three years.

What Should I Do if I’m Facing Deportation?

If you are facing deportation, the most essential thing you must do is contact a deportation defense attorney. This ensures you have competent legal representation to help protect your rights.

At the Law Office of Jason A. Dennis, we understand how complex these issues can be. Not only are they legally challenging, but they can place a significant strain on your life due to the anxiety and stress you’ll likely endure when you discover you’ve been ordered to leave the country. Contact our compassionate team today to learn how we can help you navigate these challenging times and fight for you to remain in the country you call home.